Monday, January 12, 2009

The Sweetest Times



It is such a blessing, as a mother, to see my daughter learning and loving and growing into such a sweet child. I hope that I cherish each moment and don't let them pass by before I am able to grab hold of the memory. It's easy to get frustrated with Elisabeth as she is quickly approaching two and beginning to give me glimpses of why this age has such a frightening label. While it is so important for us to train Elisabeth in the ways of the Lord and mold her character, I hope that I can do so in a way that will show her love and grace. I hope that I can do so in a way that won't overshadow or hinder the most precious moments where her personality comes alive. From showing her motherly instinct to already proving that she sets her own rules...of course, she had to put stickers on mommy's face too... but really, who wants to see that picture! ;) ...she is a joyful, vibrant, energetic, loving child who melts our hearts every day.

She is a gift from God and a reminder to me of the way the Lord deals with me every day. I am but a child. Stubborn, selfish, rebellious. I am so grateful that as He works to shape and mold me everyday, that there are moments that He overlooks those things, as He has already so graciously forgiven me of my MANY faults. I found myself getting on to Elisabeth earlier today and as I was scolding her, as she was crying, all she wanted to do was cling to me and have me hold her safely in my arms. My heart swelled, and I thought again of our Savior and how I must cling to Him in the midst of my downfalls. In the same way that I loved and kissed Elisabeth to let her know that everything was okay and I still loved her, He will restore me...He longs to restore me, the same way that I wanted so much for Elisabeth to cling to me. I am grateful, that while I don't often feel this way, I know that He loves me and sees me as His sweet, precious child. What an amazing God we have! And what an example of parenting Brian and I have to guide us on this blessed journey with Elisabeth!

1 comment: