Friday, May 1, 2009

Gluteus Maximus

My gluteus maximus hurts. Not because I have just had an awesome workout, although I am so inspired by watching The Biggest Loser...usually so inspired to get up and go workout the next morning, only to decide that sleep is more important as soon as my alarm goes off. So, I'm not sore from trying to get in shape. My bum hurts because of a laundry basket. It hurts because my daughter finds great joy in being pushed around the house in this object as fast as I am able to go. My bum hurts because I pushed her around twice for a couple of minutes each time...TWO DAYS AGO! That's what I call a "Mom Workout"...get it in while you can! With still being sore and all, I consider that a successful workout. One that I won't mind continuing to try to obtain a more shapely bum. After all, I can handle a few minutes a day.

I must also say since having Elisabeth my biceps are bigger than they've ever been (not that they are anything to brag about...but I'm just comparing me to me). Carrying around a 28 pound child multiple times a day will really beef you up! Although, I think my left arm is stronger than my right...being that I'm right handed and all and need to keep it free so that I can actually accomplish something while carrying her around. The real test of strength and ultimate upper body workout is a "quick" trip to the grocery store...the kind of trip where I think I can shop without a cart...holding Elisabeth in one hand and groceries in the other. It's usually a stupid idea and I end up totally exhausted, but my arms look better for it. Wow, that sounded vain!

So this is my life and this is how I manage to workout:

Glutes: Push Elisabeth around in a laundry basket for two minutes (repeat once, twice if she remembers to say please).
Arms: Try to be superwoman and carry Elisabeth and as many groceries as we can BOTH carry (she's really quite helpful). On days we don't try this ridiculous stunt, I'll squeeze in a few tricep dips from the kitchen counter while I wait for Elisabeth's food to finish heating up in the microwave.
Legs: Walk as fast as I can while carrying Elisabeth and as many groceries as we can BOTH carry so that my arms don't actually
fall off. Or just go for a nice, leisurely run...click here for details.
Abs: Just keep 'em tight all day and you're good to go.

What I wish I had more time for:
Running (J-Momma, you inspire me!) - Running with a jogging stroller is
way harder than not!
Pilates (the ultimate slimming workout) - Elisabeth thinks it's fun to climb all over me while I'm working out, so this one
has to be done while she's sleeping!

If only I had someone to watch my sweet daughter while I went for a real workout...Is it too much to ask for a little time alone to get in a good workout? Or even just a little time alone? What about her nap time? Or after she goes to bed? If you are asking those questions in your mind right now, then one of two things is true of you...1) You do not have children yet or 2)You have
way too much energy and need to spread some around to some of us other moms! It's so nice to sit and do nothing sometimes. Although I usually sit here doing nothing while thinking of how much better I would feel if I did workout. But then I wouldn't have time to share this nonsense with you! And, besides I need to save my strength for when Elisabeth comes to me after nap time and asks me to push her around in the laundry basket!

3 comments:

  1. Love it, love it, love it!!! I get my workouts with the kiddos too! I can remember pushing Tate around the back yard in his little wagon - too many times to count. I feel your pain!
    And - carrying the kiddo and groceries - totally something I used to do too! Much easier and faster that way. It gets much harder with 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I need to try that work out with the laundry basket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny. And I can totally see Elisabeth's face while you are pushing her in that basket, and it cracks me up:)

    ReplyDelete