Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Maybe It Was Just My Imagination

I think Abigail can talk.

Yes, I know she's supposed to be learning words, saying Mama, Dada, baby, etc., but we're into baby sign language around here and she's not really playing our game!

We taught Elisabeth sign language when she was just a baby and still use it today. It's fun to have another way to communicate and helpful when we are in a situation when we need to be quiet and still need that communication. She only knows basic words, so it's not like we could really communicate with someone that has signed all their life. But it was tremendously helpful when she was a baby and couldn't yet speak all the things she was trying to communicate to us. We love the Signing Time videos and watch them fairly regularly.

Several months ago, we began working with Abigail on more, please, and all done, just a few signs. It took Elisabeth until about 12 months for it all to click, so I wasn't expecting much when we first started with Abigail. Repetition and consistency were all we were focusing on so that Abigail would eventually have her moment to get it. She is 11 months and one week and we have yet to see a sign from her. But I'm not sure we're going to need it! Whenever I ask her if she wants more of something, I repeatedly show her the sign and then use her hands to make her do the sign and then I give her more of whatever it is she is wanting. She usually just stares at me, but a few times, in the middle of all of my, "More? More? More?" she will just say, "more." Oh. So you'll just talk to me? Well, okay. And today while we were trying please, she just stares at me while I'm doing my bit to convince her that it's great fun to copy me and says, "pease." Really?! I thought I just imagined it, but Elisabeth was laughing because she heard it too. So it appears that Abigail will just be talking to us instead of signing! We'll keep at it though, because it's so extremely helpful at this age. Plus it's a fun activity to do together and use in certain situations. Elisabeth is having fun trying to teach Abigail different signs. We're looking forward to her playing and learning along with us!



And while she may just skip over signing and go on to talking, her little body has been in no hurry to produce any teeth. Until yesterday!! At 11 months and one week, the girl finally has a tooth coming in! We love her gummy smile, but know those teeth will sure come in handy!


We are enjoying her so much more each day and love the interaction we have with her at this age. She loves to laugh, often randomly and dramatically laughing to get the rest of us going. She's quite the little character. She seems to be pretty laid back, yet knows exactly what she wants and will let you know if she's not getting it. She adores her big sister and fills all of our days with joy. We are so thankful for our Abigail Grace!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Autumn! This is Courtney (Daniel) Aston. Your mom sent my mom and dad your blog link and they sent them mine! Looking forward to "following" your cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Abigail!!! I was trying to think of what those signing videos were the other day. And also do you know about Seeds? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Seriously. Same two kids. Shiloh could say more, please, all done and thank you and THEN she learned the signs. So funny.

    ReplyDelete